Follow these simple steps to become an R-2000 Builder:
- Discuss with Total Home Solutions training and licensing requirements for becoming an R-2000 builder
- Sign a licensing agreement with Natural Resources Canada
You will need to fulfill the following requirements to be licensed by Natural Resources Canada:
- Upon completion of mandatory training, builders must build an R-2000 demonstration home that is inspected by a third party energy advisor and certified by the Government of Canada. The demonstration home must be built and certified within two years of the date of completion of the R-2000 Builder Workshop.
In order to remain licensed you must:
- Have an active, up-to-date licensing agreement with Natural Resources Canada
- Build at least one R-2000 certified house every three years
- Attend the R-2000 Builder Update Workshop every two years
All R-2000 certified homes must be built to the R-2000 Standard. Only builders who have been licensed by the Government of Canada can promote themselves as R-2000 builders and can apply to have their homes R-2000 certified.
R-2000 is a voluntary standard for energy efficiency in new construction developed in collaboration with Canada’s residential construction industry. R-2000 promotes the use of cost-effective energy-efficient building practices and techniques, indoor air quality and environmental features. An R-2000 certified home is on average 50% more energy-efficient than a typical new home.
- Take advantage of Marketing Resources available to you.
Innovation – Join the other forward thinking innovators in the country and build your homes using leading edge technologies
Leadership – Stay a step ahead of building codes and get recognition as the best-in-class industry leader who helped transform the housing market in Canada
Government backed – Offer your customers a premium, government-backed brand for energy efficiency in new homes, with third-party verification and a Government of Canada supported certification process
Best in class – Market yourself as a premium builder who provides his customers with the best-in-class R-2000 energy efficiency home label
Added value for your customers – Besides strict requirements for energy efficiency, R-2000 promotes superior air tightness standards and indoor air quality that sets R-2000 apart from other green labels on the market.
Continual support and learning opportunities – You will benefit from over 30 years of research and development in the area of energy efficiency in new construction and you will have access to expertise in building science, training, and overall support and recognition as you build R-2000 certified homes.